Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Motivations for Journalism

I think the most significant motivation I hold for wanting to be a journalist is the effect I think it can have on society. I've always been deeply interested in politics, and as I have grown older, there are many issues which I have come to be very passionate about. Professional journalism puts the journalist at the head of the public forum, in a position to influence in a way they see to be right. I've always been interested in stories of people who sacrificed material possessions in pursuit of a higher truth, and I think for me journalism has emerged as that pursuit. It isn't the most promising career if one has aspirations of wealth, but it offers a role in society few other professions can.


I hope that one day I can say I made a difference in society, and through the lives and work of famous journalists, I can see that possibility. Walter Cronkite is just one of many journalists who have made incredible societal contributions, although arguably the most well-known. At the end of his career, Cronkite had come to be known as "the most trusted man in America." I think this is indicative of the kind of effect a journalist can have, and the responsibility they hold in the public square. So I think that is the foremost motivation I have for wanting to be a journalist; that one day I might be able to reflect and see my hand in positive change in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment